Why Choose NorSask?
Consistent Quality Lumber
NorSask’s lumber product is comprised of a blend of boards ranging from 100% defect-free to moderate amounts of defect. NorSask’s stud grade has no prior select lumber product removed… a lift of NorSask lumber contains all of our perfect boards in the mix too. Our goal is to produce an exceptionally consistent quality lumber product for our customers.
Saskatchewan First Nations-Owned
We’re 100% owned by the Meadow Lake Tribal Council. Our profits are reinvested by MLTC and support economic development, social programs, employment and infrastructure in the nine First Nations represented in the MLTC.
Responsible Stewardship of the Environment
Our forest management subsidiary, Mistik Management Ltd., is certified to the highest standard in our industry and ensures that all lumber we receive is responsibly managed.
Unique Forest Management Model
We’ve developed a unique forest management model that involves the local community in co-managing our forest resources. Co-management has been the key to our success.
Reliable Sources of Fibre
We have access to reliable sources of responsibly-managed wood fibre. Mistik Management Ltd. is the perpetual licensee in a Forest Management Area that stretches over 1.8 million hectares. NorSask is also a one-eighth shareholder in Sakâw Askiy Management Inc. responsible for a Forest Management Area of 3.3 million hectares.
Operating Since 1971
Our mill was established in 1971. We’ve been owned by MLTC since 1998 and in continuous operations since then, providing reliable jobs through many downturns in our industry. We currently employ approximately 100 full-time employees.
Your business is extremely important to us and that’s how we treat it.
Trees and Markets
NorSask manufactures SPF stud lumber from white spruce, jack pine, and balsam fir coniferous trees, sourced from over 5 million hectares of the boreal forest in north-west and north-central Saskatchewan. NorSask is a 50% owner of Mistik Management Ltd. which holds the Forest Management License Agreement with the Province of Saskatchewan. NorSask has exclusive rights to all coniferous trees on the Mistik FMA area. Secondly, NorSask holds a 175,000 m3 sawlog allocation on the Prince Albert FMA area and is a 1/8th Shareholder of Sakâw Askiy Management Inc. NorSask also holds commercial arrangements with various 3rd party stakeholders, including Aboriginal stakeholders, for sourcing fibre for the mill.
NorSask currently exports 70% of its production to the United States, with lumber destined to locations as far south as Texas and east to Florida. The remaining 30% is marketed and sold in Canada, primarily in the prairie provinces.
Grading and Certification
All lumber graded at NorSask Forest Products is regulated by the Central Forest Products Association (CFPA). CFPA is accredited by the Canadian Lumber Standards accreditation board (CLSAB) and the American Lumber Standards Committee (ALSC) to monitor the lumber grading under the CFPA grade mark. The CFPA uses the National Lumber Grades Authority (NLGA) grading rules to monitor its members.